Coconut oil is a saturated fat that helps you lose weight, decreases inflammation, fights infection, and protects the brain from Alzheimer’s disease. It works the opposite way other saturated fats do by improving the ratio of “good” to “bad” cholesterol in the body. Coconut oil contains fatty acids that are more easily digested than other kinds of fat and are not stored in fat tissue. It is also rich in healthy antioxidants.
Here are some additional ways that coconut oil benefit your health:
- Coconut oil is the safest oil to cook with, as it is the least vulnerable to oxidation and the formation of free radicals when heated. Oils that oxidize can lead to many health problems.
- Coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. It has unique fatty acids which have anti-microbial properties with no harmful side effects.
- Coconut oil can prevent bone loss and osteoporosis. It also improves the absorption of minerals and fat soluble vitamins which are needed to maintain healthy bones and teeth.
- Coconut oil provides energy without accumulating fat. Its fatty acids are sent directly to the liver where they are converted into energy like a carbohydrate, but do not raise blood sugar like a carbohydrate, so it is good for diabetics.
- Coconut oil boosts metabolism. It has a calorie burning effect, so not only will you be burning calories faster, you will have more energy.
Daniluk RHN, Julie. “How coconut oil can help you lose weight and aid digestion.” Diet. Chatelaine, 7 Jan 2013. Web. 30 Nov 2014.